Sunday 27 May 2012

From the Mrs: Karelian Pies and Egg Butter

I know...sounds foreign doesn't it?  I first encountered the Karelian Pie at Janne's Uncle's house...he sat me down and presented me with a range of strange looking food and then the whole family watched the shy British girl as she timidly took her first bites of Finnish food. Luckily this is one of my favourite activities when travelling and my love for food means that I'm quite willing to try anything, although I draw the line at rotten fish, which I'm told is a bit of a smelly delicacy in Scandinavia.

The Karelian Pie topped with egg butter was the most foreign looking thing on the table, but I found once I got stuck in it's actually really nice and over the years I'm always happy to see a nice, warm Karelian Pie on the menu. However,  when Janne presented me with the recipe and asked me to have a go at making them I have to admit I was slightly worried. Surprisingly these are really easy to make, although I would recommend serving them warm as they become a bit tough and chewy when cold. Having accomplished this I'm told that I'm "now a proper Finnish Wife!"

Ingredients

Rice Filling

·         340g of short grain pudding rice or all-purpose white rice

·         500ml of water

·         500ml of milk

·         1 tsp of salt

·         1tbsp of butter

Dough

·         250g of rye flour

·         55g of plain flour

·         1tsp salt

·         200ml of water

·         2tbsp of melted butter

Egg Butter

·         8 hard boiled eggs

·         150g of salted butter

Preheat oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6

Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper

Add the water to a pan and throw in the rice. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and allow to cook until all of the water has absorbed. Stir occasionally.

Next add the milk and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked. When the milk has absorbed stir in the butter and season with a bit of salt.

Combine all of the flour and salt and stir in the cold water. Mix together to make a dough and knead until all of the ingredients have bound together and the dough is even. Roll the dough into a log shape and cut into 20 even pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball on a floured surface, flatten with your hand and set aside.

Next ensure your work surface is floured and roll each flattened piece of dough into an oval shape about 6 inches long and wide. Try and roll the dough as thinly as possible. Fill each oval with the rice mixture (about two tablespoons)and spread evenly. Leaving about 2 inches of dough around the sides. Fold the dough inwards over the rice and pinch the dough together with your fingers.

Place each pie on the lined baking tray and brush with a little melted butter. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15minutes, remove from oven and brush with more melted butter, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes if the pies aren't already golden brown.

Allow to cool slightly before serving.

 To make the egg butter, whip the softened butter and mash the eggs. Mix the two together and season if required. Allow to cool in the fridge and then spread on top of the slightly cooled Karelian Pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment