Sunday 13 May 2012

From the Mrs: Mojito Time!

My Brother-in-law Matt introduced me to the Mojito a few years ago and since then I've been hooked and on a mission to find a place that makes the perfect Mojito. In Helsinki last year I made Janne trawl the streets with me in my search for a Mojito...we found a bar tucked away on a back street...an actual Mojito bar with an entire menu. This was very exciting until they served up a seven euro Mojito in a tiny glass with what seemed to be no rum at all. Whilst I stuck with a classic Mojito , Janne braved the very feminine looking pink grapefruit Mojito and spent the rest of the night sucking up grapefruit pips through a straw. It wasn't good and I realised that perhaps I can do better.

Here in Yorkshire my friend was ordering Mojito's and was corrected by the very broad Yorkshire lady serving behind the bar. She asked for a "Mo-hee-toe" and the lady told her it was pronounced "Modge -ee-toe." So here our my three favourite Modgeetoes...however you want to pronounce it!

Ingredients

·         1 Lime
·         Fresh mint leaves (washed and picked from the stalk)
·         White rum
·         Sparkling mineral water
·         Ice  cubes
·         Sugar
·         Tall glass
·         Straw

Cut the lime into quarters and then slice the quarters again so they are smaller. Squeeze two of these into the bottom of the glass.

Next add about four mint leaves into the bottom of the glass and mash with a spoon and then add your rum...it's up to you how much you add. I usually add about a shot glass and a half in.

Next add your ice and the rest of the limes (un-squeezed!) and about eight mint leaves. Top up the glass with sparkling mineral water and add a heaped teaspoon of sugar.

Mix everything together with a spoon and taste, adjust the taste with more lime juice or more rum if you feel it needs it. Serve with a straw! Perfect for long summer evenings or a lazy summer afternoon.

Variations:  Why not try:
Champagne Mojito - Add the sparkling water and leave space to top up with champagne or prosecco.

Ginger Mojito - Replace the sparkling water with ginger ale.





No comments:

Post a Comment